Monday, 24 September 2012

Swearing? Not bl**dy likely!


A Twitter friend and fellow author, L K Jay has written an interesting blog entry titled Dropping the ‘C’ Bomb, about when to use swearing in writing. It’s interesting because I’ve never really considered this.

My current release, Rathbone Kydd – sex’n’drugs’n’quantum stuff (just issued on Kindle and with a 5* review already  – go on, buy a copy!) is riddled with swearing from the mild stuff, through the copious F words, and right up to the C Bomb (seven of them). Part of the book is a first person narrative by the main character, a 1970s rock singer: if he didn’t swear he’d have to come from the Cliff Richards school of music, “Uh, yah!” As it stands, Rathbone’s Amazon and Smashword pages carry content warnings, because, as direct contrast to Rathbone, there is no swearing whatsoever in my previous book, Pike’s Quest, there just wasn’t the need. I didn’t make a conscious decision because the question just never arose.

So, L K Jay, m’dear, I think, for me the question of when to use swearing in my writing is answered with, “Only when necessary.”

Check out L K Jay’s Amazon page here, and see my book listings and purchase links here.



2 comments:

  1. Swearing, whether we like it or not, is part of everyday life. Some people swear more than others.

    Whether to add swear words to a story or not really depends on the writer, the story and whether the swear words need to be used or not in context with the story.

    I had no hesitation in using swear words where appropriate in Grand Plage or Always Running Away. Given that both are sexually explicit though, swearing kinda takes a back seat to that.

    One word I never use, in real life or in writing, is the C Bomb. It's a disgusting and quite offensive word. My opinion is that it has no place anywhere. There are words with similar meaning but less offensive that could be used.

    However, we are all different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tucker,

    Thanks for your response. Many people hold the same view - I only use it sparingly in the context of the character. Oddly, in my experience, more women use the word than men.

    Strange how one word above all others is held to be so offensive. Other words related to the same body part seem to be OK, but not the C word. What is it about the human psyche that makes this so?

    ReplyDelete

Please keep it clean!